
Recording Exposes Government Intervention on Mirror TV License Application
Summary report by Taiwan Weekly
New Power Party Legislator Chen Chiao-hua played three recordings at the Legislative Yuan as evidence that high-level officials of the government intervened in the process of Mirror TV’s news station application so that it could get a license. Chen Chien-ping, former chairman of Mirror TV, confirmed that the content of recording featured conversations of Pei Wei, shareholder and chairman of Mirror TV. Pei stated that the recording was private conversation that was secretly recorded and edited, and he would sue the person who did it.
Premier Su Tseng-chang denied intervening or giving pressure when asked at the Legislative Yuan. Su stated that other people’s comments, referring to Pei’s recording, is beyond his or the president’s control and is “unnecessary of investigation”. Su’s statement drew Kuomintang’s (KMT) criticism that he is “openly instructing the Prosecutors Office”.
In the recording, Pei mentioned his talk with President Tsai Ing-wen about the interview with National Communications Commission (NCC). He said he was asked many questions and the NCC was being unreasonable. “Tsai immediately told Su to take care of it since there was not any reason to further delay.” Pei also mentioned in the recording “Tell Minister Chen Yao-hsang of the NCC that this is the will of the president and not the premier. Don’t suppose that if the result of the referendum on the 18th is not good then the premier will be replaced and this case can be delayed. Whoever becomes the premier, this case will have to pass.”
After the content of the recording was released, there was an uproar in public opinion. Not only has the government and the party meddled in the media, even the Office of the President is directly involved. Former chairman of Mirror TV, Chen Chien-ping, issued a statement that he received from the whistleblower the full two-hour audio recording of the Mirror TV shareholders meeting on December 17, 2021. Chen confirmed that it was indeed the complete process of the shareholders’ meeting in which he served as chairman that day. He also validated that the content of the recording was also truly Pei’s speech.
Pei responded in a statement saying that if he really had the ability to put pressure on the Office of the President and the Executive Yuan, then the case of Mirror TV would not have taken 26 months nor need a strict additional clause. Back and forth, Chen Chien-ping and Pei have issued four statements where they stated they own opinions on who was the recorder, the actual content and the length of the recording.
On September 30, Minister Chen Yao-hsiang of the NCC was questioned at the Legislative Yuan on whether or not President Tsai and Premier Su put pressure on him to not delay Mirror TV’s license until after the referendum. Both Chen and Su denied giving or receiving pressure. Minister Chen emphasized that “What Mr. Pei said is his own business…Premier Su did not put pressure on me.” Chen stressed that there was no problem with the review of Mirror TV application for a license.
When being questioned about the authenticity of the recording, Premier Su replied that even the people who are involved have a dispute on its authenticity. It was said that the recording had been edited and legal actions will be taken. Su believes that “it is wrong to question the premier and president something that even the people involved have disputes on.”
In response to Premier Su’s claim that the recording is “unnecessary of investigation”, KMT Legislator Hung Mong-kai criticized the DPP’s double standards. He believes that the more Su downplays the recording incident, the more reasons for the people to suspect that Su has something to hide. Hung called on the DPP to not block the establishment of a news investigation team in order to provide the people with the truth and an explanation.
Legislator Tseng Ming-chung, whip of the KMT Caucus of the Legislative Yuan, stated that the recording incident highlights the fact that political dirty hands have reached into NCC. NCC closing down CtiTV News, Mirror TV’s designated license, and the various TVBS controversies, are all national-level scandals. Legislator Tseng asked that President Tsai and Premier Su apologize openly and Minister Chen of the NCC should assume responsibility and step down. Tseng further noted that when Minister Chen accepted Office of the President’s persuasion to gain personal interests from Mirror TV, Chen has already violated the Anti-Corruption Act and should be taken to court.
According to Mayor Ko Wen-je of Taipei, if the leaking recording file of Pei is fake, then the Office of the President or Executive Yuan should sue Pei directly. Instead, the Office of the President have been quiet, pretending it never happened, which means Pei’s recording is real.
The Ministry of Justice stated that it has received the report and information of Mirror TV’s case. One information is on the illegal procedure of Mirror TV’s license’s application. The other information is Chen suspecting that there is irregular transactions that violate the company law and are acts of breach of trust. The Taipei District Prosecutor’s Office has summoned Pei as the related party and Chen as the whistleblower to appear in court for the first time.
From:
https://udn.com/news/story/123047/6648124
https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20220928002555-260407
https://www.storm.mg/article/4540290
https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20220928001688-260407